Flea and Tick Prevention in Carol Stream
Are your pets protected from fleas and ticks? Without parasite preventatives, dogs and cats face serious health risks. At Carol Stream Animal Hospital, we know parasite prevention is just as important as any other part of a pet’s wellness regimen. Your dog or cat depends on us – and you – to make sure parasites don’t get to them, so let’s make sure we do a good job.
Why Cats and Dogs Need Parasite Prevention
Prevention is much easier than tick or flea treatment because parasites are good at infesting pets and staying put for multiple generations. It’s also much safer for pets to avoid the risks of parasites altogether. When we work to prevent infestations in the first place, pets don’t have to suffer symptoms and complications that range from the uncomfortable to the life-threatening. But what, exactly, are these risks?
Here are some of the most common health risks associated with fleas and ticks – and some of the most important reasons to seek flea and tick prevention:
- Flea Allergy Dermatitis – Many pets are allergic to flea saliva, causing severe itching and discomfort that may lead to hair loss and scabs
- Open Wounds and Infection – As pets bite and scratch their irritated skin, they may eventually break the skin, increasing their pain and risk of infection
- Internal Parasites – Your pet may ingest adult fleas that have parasites, causing tapeworm and other parasites inside your pet’s body too
- Tick-borne Diseases – Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Lyme Disease are two of many serious diseases linked to ticks
Of course, these are just a few of the risks associated with fleas and ticks. These parasites can also cause health risks for your family, especially if they spread to your home and carry bacteria that can cause human diseases.
Our Veterinary Options for Flea & Tick Prevention
So, how do we prevent fleas and ticks at Carol Stream Animal Hospital? Today, there are several different methods of flea and tick prevention, and your veterinarian can tell you which method is right for your pet. Here are our most popular preventatives:
- Oral Medication – Pets can swallow one or two pills per month to prevent fleas and ticks from the inside out and kill current infestations
- Topical Sprays – We also offer medicated sprays that apply directly to your pet’s fur and skin, repelling fleas and ticks
- Spot-On Treatment – Our most popular option, spot-on ointments and liquids are easy to apply once a month, and some of them also kill adults and larvae and prevent eggs from hatching
Does Your Dog Need Flea Protection in Carol Stream?
Our whole veterinary team is passionate about preventing these nuisances and protecting your family. Call us today at (630) 462-7888 to schedule an appointment with our veterinarian.